Wednesday, September 24, 2008

AF Flight

I just got back from doing an incentive flight on a KC135. It was so much fun! The flight was for military spouses and we ended up with about 13 that came. We met early this morning and had our safety briefing as well as a light breakfast. At around 9 am we started to head to the plane. We got to the plane and had to pose for some pictures. It was kind of strange having to stand on the stairs to the plane and do individual pictures. We'll see if we ever see them. This is the plane we went on.We ended up having to wait a little longer before we could take off. The weather control system on the plane wasn't working so they had to fix it. While we waited they passed out ear plugs and motion sickness bags. I had to laugh as I read what the envelope said.I tried to get a good picture of it - but this is what is says:

MOTION SICKNESS BAG
(For use during moments of stomach upset)

If an upset stomach is anticipated, remove bag from this container and keep ready for use. Do not be embarrassed by this precaution as even veteran travelers are subject to occasional motion sickness.

We finally took off and got to enjoy the flight. It was strange to sit sideways for the take-off.

This is Kim sitting with me. She is another CE wife.Some of the other wives sitting more in the back of the plane.

Here are some pictures that I took as I looked out the very small windows. There weren't too many of those. It really was a beautiful day.


We got to go down into the Boom area and play around. It was so fun to be able to actually move the boom around.


It is a small space that you lay down in and then there are controls for you to do the job. It was very beautiful looking out the window. Lots of pretty countryside.This is what it looked like. That stick is what is used to do the refueling. It attaches to the other planes to do in flight refueling. We got to move it all around with the joystick. We were supposed to get to actually watch a refueling but something happened and the other plane called it off before we reached it. Our 4 hour flight was basically cut in half because we didn't do the refueling.

On the way back I actually got to sit in the cockpit for the landing.




There were so many buttons. I had fun sitting there watching them do their job. Before we started our decent they said we were going at approx 8 miles a minute (we had a nice tailwind). We even got to wear the headphones so we could listen to what was going on.

I am very grateful that I got to do this. I hope that I can do it again and hopefully see the refueling take place.

3 comments:

Beth said...

How fun! We get incentive rides, but they are just taxis down the runway. So cool to actually fly!! I am super jealous!

nana.amc said...

How fun! I remember taking a hop and flying in a plane where you sat sideways in the jump seats. It was great that you actually went into the boom and rode in the cockpit. Did you have to use the motion sickness bag? Hopefully not!

Naomi said...

What an awesome experience. We always wanted to take a "hop" flight to some exotic place. My Dad was retired before I can remember, but we always talked about doing it. Great pics!