Monday, September 21, 2009

Major Project

I am so excited about this one!!! We are putting in hardwood floors. The entry way and kitchen have an ugly white marble tiles that arent' in the best shape. There are cracks in them and some are raised up more than others and they are simply dated and we don't like them. We knew that we wanted to put in hardwood floors to replace the tiles but we decided to go big and put the hardwood throughout the entire first floor. We picked out a really pretty natural cherry wood and it has been stacked in our dining room for a little while now. We finally started the project and we are going to do the floor in sections. The first section is the entry way, bathroom, and sitting room.

On Wednesday we started the prep work. First thing - remove the carpet. The carpet wasn't horrible but it just isn't the best quality and the padding was super thin so I think we made a good choice to remove it.The rest of the kids were at school so Gavin was our little helper.Let the fun begin!! Well it really wasn't fun. More like a lot of work. But oh so exciting to get it out of the house.While Dad was chipping away at the tile Gavin and I had the fun of removing all the staples in the subfloor.We rented a trailor so we could haul all the tile off to the dump.Now it was my turn. Lets just say that I wasn't quite as good as Hans but after getting used to it it went better. Later we ended up going and getting another larger crowbar so that we could both work on it. We would try to see who could get the largest piece - Hans won.On Thursday we finished preping the floor. We also had to take off all the floor boards and take apart the bathroom. This is the paper that goes between the subfloor and the actual flooring. Friday was the actual start of puting in the floor. I went off and got my hair done which left Hans to work all alone for a while. He had the hardest part to do...the first board. It was off to a slow startOnce we got out from the wall a little things started to go faster. We rented a nail gun and a air compressor so we had a time line to finish. We had to turn in the equipment the next morning. So we were busy the rest of the day. For this project Hans got a table saw and I had a great time learning how to use it. I liked it much better than using the nailgun. If you messed up that at all it was a huge pain. We'd have to use a punch to get the nail all the way into the board.
It was a late night for us. Hans and I worked until 2 am before finally calling it quites for the night. We made good progress but we didn't quite finish the rooms we wanted. The next morning we got up and went right back to work. I took the kids to their soccer games and Hans worked on the floor for a few hours before having to turn in the rental equipment. I think we finally realized how long this project was going to last, but so worth it. It was so awesome to open the front door and see the new floor.

No comments: